SiriusXM and U2 have announced the band’s much-anticipated U2 X-Radio channel exclusively on Channel 32. A complete immersion into the work and influences of the band from the Northside of Dublin, U2 X-Radio is U2 as you have never heard them before — an extraordinary and unique audio experience exploring the band’s history, idols, influences, and current passions, plus inspiration, conversation, culture, commentary, and ideas from the band and guests, all curated by U2.
The dedicated and exclusive channel will come to life with music and radio shows that celebrate music from across the globally acclaimed four-decade career of Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton, and Larry Mullen, including their biggest hits, deep cuts, live concert recordings, and rarities, as well as music from artists that are connected to or inspire the band.
U2 X-Radio will also feature unexpected and entertaining conversations across music, culture, politics, and art in the form of new interviews and original programming presented by guest presenters and band members, guest DJ sessions, and more. U2 X-Radio will immerse listeners in the world of U2, introducing friends old and new, artists, writers, thinkers, and activists who are changing the world, as well as sharing fascinating stories.
The band team behind U2 X-Radio includes U2’s trusted, longtime creative director, artist and musician Gavin Friday, along with friend and radio host Bill Flanagan, author of U2 at the End of the World.
“Radio introduced me to music so you could say that radio introduced me to my life. It has kept me company all my life. Music dared me to dream outside the four walls of my childhood bedroom; Radio Caroline, Radio Luxembourg, all my heroes, far away at sea, pirate radio rocking me to sleep. Radio is all around, it is air you can be on, revolutionary sounds coming down to meet me on the airwaves,” Bono said. “Music is everything to me, I like to sing and I have been known to talk — this will be a bit of both. From the Northside of Dublin, this is U2 on the radio.”
“Like most of the world, U2 find ourselves in a strange suspended moment — we can’t tour, we can’t even really get in a room and record together. U2 X-Radio gives us a chance to stay connected with our audience in a new way and to speak directly from our homes to listeners across North America. We are coming up with ideas every day — new music, new guests, new subjects to talk about. U2 X-Radio gives us a unique opportunity to engage in a sort of trans-Atlantic town hall. Bono said yesterday, ‘Can you believe we have a radio station to play with?’ Thanks to our friends at SiriusXM, U2 is going to be on the air and in your ears as much as you want us to be, even while the old world is changing around us,” The Edge said.
“I listen to a lot of radio, I always find it so informative. America was the land that took radio big and wide, to a whole other level; one that exposed listeners to new voices, ideas, and concepts. That is the spirit in which we bring you U2 X-Radio. We hope you enjoy it,” Adam Clayton said.
“It all sounds exhausting to me, but if people really want to listen to us for 24 hours a day, this is the way to do it,” Larry Mullen said.
U2 X-Radio’s list of original programming includes:
- BONO CALLING: Bono explores seven questions about life, work, hope, and the future with guests from every discipline — from world leaders to local activists to movie stars. First up in the series is BONO CALLING CHRIS ROCK.
- CLOSE TO THE EDGE: The Edge talks with fellow musicians, artists, and thinkers in this series of revealing conversations about the creative process and more.
- DISCOTHÈQUE: Electronic music pioneer Paul Oakenfold presents a weekend dance show featuring U2 remixes and club mixes alongside electronic music from other artists and friends for the ultimate summer soundtrack; it’s more Manchester than Miami!
- DESIRE: A show hosted by the U2 audience themselves; each episode, a different voice will take to the airwaves to tell their own U2 story and play their five favorite tracks.
- ELEVATION WITH JOHN KELLY: A weekly show celebrating good news and ideas from the worlds of science, medicine, faith, and the arts. Hosted by Irish broadcaster and writer John Kelly, ELEVATION WITH JOHN KELLY will feature music and poetry; interviews with artists, activists, thinkers and scholars, plus, the occasional member of U2. Upcoming guests include civil rights attorney Bryan Stevenson (Just Mercy).
- [GUEST] PLAYS U2: Tune in to hear fellow artists and friends talk about their favorite U2 songs, kicking off with MATTHEW McCONAUGHEY PLAYS U2.
- Plus, a weekly show from Irish DJ DAN HEGARTY on U2 X-Radio.
For more information on U2 X-Radio please click HERE.
U2 X-Radio is an example of SiriusXM music channels created with iconic and leading artists, including The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Pearl Jam, Eminem, LL COOL J, Grateful Dead, Phish, Dave Matthews, Garth Brooks, Kenny Chesney, Diplo, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and more.
Over 100 SiriusXM channels — including U2 X-Radio — are available for free for anyone with an inactive SiriusXM radio in their car as well as on the SiriusXM app through Monday, July 6. To listen to U2 X-Radio on your SiriusXM radio, simply tune to Channel 32; to listen on the SiriusXM app, visit: SiriusXM.com/U2Free.
Music, Sports, News and more
All in one place on the SiriusXM app