David Bowie was unquestionably larger than life. When he died unexpectedly two years ago, Howard Stern was struck by the loss of such an artistic force. Bowie had long been one of Stern’s musical heroes and even served as a surprise guest at the King of All Media’s 44th birthday bash in 1998, performing Fame, Hallo Spaceboy and I’m Afraid of Americans.
This month, Stern honors the legendary musician with The Howard Stern Tribute to David Bowie. The special will premiere Friday, February 9, exclusively on Howard 101.
“When I got into rock ‘n’ roll music, one of the artists that I first really got into was David Bowie,” said Stern. “He was always evolving, he was always on top of things, he was just a great musician and a great songwriter and a great singer. I want to make sure that people remember David Bowie.”
The Howard Stern Tribute to David Bowie will feature a wide variety of artists inspired by the late musician, performing his songs with their own inventive styles and interpretations. The contributors range from legends such as Peter Frampton, Daryl Hall and Todd Rundgren; to recent breakthroughs including Greta Van Fleet, Biffy Clyro and The Struts; and a rare collaboration between rock stalwarts Umphrey’s McGee, Huey Lewis and saxophonist Jeff Coffin.
Each artist selected and performed their songs exclusively for Stern’s special, with Peter Frampton recording before a live audience.
The tribute broadcast will be hosted by Bowie’s long-time producer Tony Visconti.
“David Bowie’s lasting influence on music, past, present, and future is absolutely phenomenal. He will be played a hundred years from now,” Visconti said. “I’m glad we can share these fantastic interpretations of his songs. The people who rose to the occasion for the Howard Stern tribute did an amazing job.”
The Howard Stern Tribute to David Bowie will premiere on Friday, February 9 at 10 pm ET with replays Saturday, February 10 at 2 pm & 9 pm ET and Sunday, February 11 at 7 pm ET. The special will also be available On Demand via the SiriusXM app.
Click here to listen On Demand!
Check out the full setlist below, and don’t forget to tune in!
- PETER FRAMPTON | Rebel Rebel (Live)
- GARBAGE | Starman
- GRETA VAN FLEET | The Jean Genie
- UMPHREY’S MCGEE (ft. HUEY LEWIS and JEFF COFFIN) | Let’s Dance
- KRISTEEN YOUNG (co-produced by TONY VISCONTI) | Moonage Daydream
- BRITT DANIEL | Never Let Me Down
- DURAND JONES & THE INDICATIONS | Young Americans
- COREY TAYLOR | Fashion
- MICHAEL PENN | After All
- THE STRUTS | Suffragette City
- LISA LOEB | All The Young Dudes
- SUN KIL MOON (ft. PETRA HADEN) | John, I’m Only Dancing
- JADE BIRD | Quicksand
- BIFFY CLYRO | Modern Love
- BONES | I’m Afraid Of Americans
- SHAWN COLVIN | Heroes
- TODD RUNDGREN | Life On Mars?
- DAWES | Oh! You Pretty Things
- NIKKI LANE | Golden Years
- BLEACHERS | Ziggy Stardust
- CAR SEAT HEADREST | Ashes to Ashes
- LOW CUT CONNIE | Diamond Dogs
- DARYL HALL | Fame
- GOGOL BORDELLO| Rock ‘N’ Roll Suicide
- WILLIAM PATRICK CORGAN | Space Oddity
Lisa Loeb – All the Young Dudes
Daryl Hall – Fame